-The new Fire OS is a significant improvement. It is closer to current android, and it is intuitive-ish if you have used an Android phone before.
- The processing power and the responsiveness improvement is significant when compared to the previous gen. The promotional material states that it is 30% faster and after trying it, I agree.
- Live view on another Amazon device, using specific skills like Ring or WYZE, using Alexa, in general having this as a portable automation control at your fingertips, works very well.
- Still has a headphone jack.
- Lots of battery time.
- Supports up to 1TB microSD card. Running it with 256GB just fine.
- Made with environmentally conscious materials.
- Voice control is as good as with any other Amazon device.
- Still works great for reading your E-books and browsing the web. This review was written in it, btw.
- A lot of the same negatives of the previous Gen. Screen Resolution? Still 1024X600. Memory? Still 16GB, maybe 32GB if you cough up another 20$, which I did.
- No fast charge means that given that the battery is larger than the previous model, the charge time is also longer.
I intend to use this tablet as my portable hub for my amazon devices; so far it works great for that. I did a bit of streaming and internet browsing and it works great for that too, albeit the resolution could definitely better, which I knew coming in. It is significantly faster than its predecessor.
Given that I like the previous one, I am pleased. Don’t get me wrong, I would prefer to have a better resolution or more memory on the starting model or maybe even better speakers (plural), but Amazon improved the model significantly in another area (performance) without significantly affecting the price. Thus, while it is not perfect, I give it five stars.
TLDR; The new fire 7 is FIRE. Worth every penny.