Top positive review
5-Minute Setup & Seamless Integration with Google Home
Reviewed in the United States on August 12, 2020
After having difficulty with different brands of smart plugs in the past, I was wary about buying ones online again, but I decided to trust the great reviews this product had. I'm so glad I did! The setup literally took minutes, and was so easy.
The 5-Minute Setup:
- Download the "Kasa" app
- Tapped the "+" button in the top right corner to add a new smart plug and then tapped on "Smart Plug"
- Found the model of my smart plug on the bottom of the plug itself (these are model HS103) and selected the right model
- Plugged the smart plug into the wall and went through the 1-minute easy setup on the screen
- Opened my Google Home app to see a newly-added banner at the top that said "add tp-link" so I clicked on that
- Selected all three of the new lamps I had set up
- Asked Google to turn off one of the lamps and -BAM- just like that, the lamp turned off!
- Instead of choosing a random icon for your smart plug, please take a picture of the device it will be controlling. Trust me, this will come in handy later.
- Select nicknames that are unique and distinct, like proper names. My lamps are named Kirk, Eddie, and Olive. Weird? Yeah. But there's a method to this madness: the Google Assistant has difficulty interpreting my request to turn off my bedroom lamp, or to turn on my bedside lamp, when I have three lamps in one room. Having names like Eddie or Kirk help Google get the right lamp, every time. Plus, it's easier for you to remember that the lamp on your nightstand is called "Brian" instead of "Bedroom Lamp #1."
Do I recommend this product:
- Hell yes. Now I can live the lazy fantasy of my dreams, sans complicated setups or weird technical errors. Ah, to be lazy in the age of technology.
That is all. If you've made it this far, just buy the damn smart plugs. You can thank me later.